Sandbox - More user friendly

One more update on my quick schedule than it’s back to school so I’ll probably slow down for a while.  In any case, I’ve added the ability to change between different elements in the definitions files.

Two new changes to the definitions are the addition of placeability and colorful flags.  If placeability is set, the element will show up on the GUI to be placed.  If colorful is set, the colors will be varied slightly (see the screenshots).

Next up, seeing if I can come up with more elements to play with…

Sandbox - Interactivity

I know I’ve already updated this project twice within the past 24 hours, but third time’s a charm.  This time, it’s interactive!

I’m using the same rules as last time (with the tweaks I mentioned).  The main difference are that you can left-click anywhere on the screen to add a blob of fire or right-click to add a new blob of plant.  It’s still not really a game per-say, but it’s got the makings of one!

Sandbox - Reactions

So I stayed up entirely too late last night / this morning and decided to go ahead and add reacti0ns to Sandbox.  Turns out, it was far easier than anything that I’ve implemented thus far on this project.  I spent some of the day (when I wasn’t at the family Thanksgiving celebration) tweaking a few things to make it look a little better.

Basically, reactions have four parts: a core, reactants, a chance, and (possibly) a product.  The core is the particle that will be reacting.  The reactants (each given with a concentration) are the neighboring particles.  The chance adds a bit of randomness to reactions and allows particles to fade (see the fire below).  The product (if present) is the result of the reaction.

Sandbox - And so it begins

For the past few years, I’ve been fascinated by falling sand / particle simulation type games (like this one).  Enough so that I’ve set out to make one a fair number of times.  Each time, I’ve advanced my own techniques by a little bit, finding new and better ways to make digital sand.

This time around, I’m going to try to use C# with SDL.NET for all of my graphical work and a simple grid for all of the particle data.  Rather than looping over the grid, I will be using quadtrees to only update the regions that actually need to be updated.  So far the results are promising!

Frisbee Golf x2

Two games of Frisbee Golf (Nov 22 & 27) at the Patoka Lake course. And some related pictures of course. Flickr Galleries require JavaScript to view View on Flickr


The fall quarter has ended and thus so has the AIGS 2009 project. Version 0.2.04 is the last version that I will (most likely) be updating. I think that an independent study group will be working on the version for next year, and I wish them the best of luck. On a brighter note, Prof. Wollowski and I have written a paper based on the AIGS project and have submitted it to FLAIRS 2010 (an AI conference in Florida).

Olinger Thanksgiving 2009

Two composite shots of the entire Olinger Thanksgiving 2009. All 49 of us (with me behind the camera). Flickr Galleries require JavaScript to view View on Flickr

Old Oaken Bucket

A set of pictures I took at the Old Oaken Bucket game between IU and Purdue. Flickr Galleries require JavaScript to view View on Flickr

AIGS 2009 Update

Bug fixes:

  • Flag respawning is more solid (not completely guaranteed though, because I haven’t actually been able to duplicate the issue).
  • Should cause an error if you try to capture your own player.

Thanks to Chris Covert for testing the problems that I was having.

AIGS 2009 Update

New version uploaded. Bug fixes: Fixed swapping players bug. Potential fix for not your turn bug (not sure if this one will work). Sending ‘Unsolvable’ as a move can be used to prematurely end a game (and will output the game log). Fixed/removed extra YourTurn packets sent on failed move. Fixed capturing, players can now capture correctly and wil respawn at their bases. Fixed returning flags. Flags were returning at (0, 0), now the return to their spawn points.