Laundry and taxes. Hotdog fingers and Raccacoonie. Googly third eyes and sex toy fueled kung fu fights. The truest everything bagel there ever was.
Well that was a delightfully weird movie.
If anything at all of that sounds interesting (especially the weird part) and you haven’t seen this movie yet, go see it. Don’t spoil it. I’ll wait.
I loved this movie. The cultural dissonance of foreigners just trying to make a living while their world falls apart around them. Generational conflict, especially around LGBT issues. Crazy fight scenes and wackier world building, it’s got it all.
All of the actors were great. Wang Michelle Yeoh’s Evelyn Wang carried the show, but Ke Huy Quang’s Waymond Wang’s radically different characters were great as well. Jamie Lee Curtis as Deirdre was probably my favorite for just how much she change4d from role to role.
The worldbuilding was just weird and explained enough to work as a vehicle of the story without becoming all consuming. The entire point is that things aren’t particularly going to make sense. I feel like they started to give up on even the few rules they had by the end–but it held together.
Overall, a great fun movie. I have no idea if it will stand up to a rewatch… but I think I’m going to have to find out. If nothing else, so I can share it with others! And perhaps give Swiss Army Man a shot.
Ranked: 2022 Movie Reviews
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- The Matrix Reloaded
- The Matrix
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- Thor: Love and Thunder
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
- Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
- Underworld: Evolution
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
- Toy Story
- Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts
- Toy Story 2
- The Grinch
- The Star
- The Land Before Time