Perhaps it’s nostalgia speaking, but I really miss the 1966 How the Grinch Stole Christmas! It was basically a reading of the book with a great narrator (Boris Karloff, who amusingly is best known for a bunch of 1930-40s horror films) and a few new songs that really fit the Seuss style. Given that the Grinch is probably in my top 5 Seuss books overall, of course I like it.
This… is not quite that. It’s modernized, Illuminationized (man that style is distinct), and ads a bunch of strange backstory to pad the runtime. It’s not bad by any stretch of the imagination, and it’s better at least than the 2000 Jim Carrey Version… but I don’t really think it’s something that needs to be.
I will say that I really do enjoy getting GBenedict Cumberbatch as the Grinch. He’s got a great voice for it!
So far… the best movie of the year! Because it’s the only movie of the year. I expect that will fall.
Ranked: 2022 Movie Reviews
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- The Matrix Reloaded
- The Matrix
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Free Guy
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- Thor: Love and Thunder
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
- Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
- Underworld: Evolution
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
- Toy Story
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
- Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts
- Toy Story 2
- The Grinch
- The Star
- The Land Before Time