That’s a bit of an odd season. The original plotline had to be thrown out on account of the actress that played Tony's mom dying , so the whole ‘do they have a case against Tony’ thing falls through. As a result, it’s not the most cohesive of seasons, but there are a few gems in here still.
Episode mini reviews:
- Mr. Ruggerino’s Neighborhood: All sorts of crazy editing. Bizarre start to the new season. Amusing watching the FBI try to bug Tony and Tony being … surprisingly competent.
- Proshai Livushka: Tony’s mom dies. What are you going to do? Especially when it’s the actress that died. . It would have been fascinating to see the original plot, but they certainly made it work.
- Fortunate Son: All about sons. Christopher, AJ, Jackie Jr. So many things ramping up. Should be an interesting season. Also Janice is set up to be hated. Weird set up.
- Employee of the Month: Dr. Melfi and her relationship with Tony is one of the best parts of this show. It’s a hard episode to watch, but oy. Quite the episode. Also I didn’t notice before but that’s Cypher from the Matrix.
- Another Toothpick: Dr. Melfi, Tony, … and Carmela? Oy. Also awkward Artie and family troubles. Not quite as intense as the last episode, but that’s a good thing.
- University: Oh Meadow. It’s not a mob plotline, but it’s a fascinating counterpoint. And Ralphie, like Aprile but crazier… And the whole ‘stripper with a heart of gold’ only to be shut down hard. Oh that’s an episode. The number of cuts is pretty bizarre.
- Second Opinion: “F*** the orange juice”. Oh the Sopranos have a weird relationship. As do Christopher and Ade. Also also cancer. And bullying Doctors.
- He Is Risen: Man Ralphie is hateable. The look into mafia rules and politics is pretty fascinating though.
- The Telltale Moozadell: Christopher and Adriana moving up in the world. Jackie Jr is … getting in over his head. Also random AJ plotline at school. Also also I fully expect Gloria to be trouble.
- To Save Us All from Satan’s Power: Flashbacks to Pussy, apparently the mob’s Santa? Weird.
- Pine Barrens: Russians and a frozen night in the woods. How bad could it be?
- Amour Fou: Crazy love. Certainly crazy something. Things are so going to explode next episode. Also interesting the conversation about the Clintons.
- The Army of One: And so ends one problematic plotlines in true Sopranos fashion. Others only amping up. Seems a bit anticlimactic for a season finale. OTOH, Tobin Bell is a treasure (seen him otherwise in Stargate)—maybe AJ’s plot will go somewhere.
- The Long Goodbye: Body snatchers again! Of course things go sideways. It’s quite an experience.
- Coup D’etat: I never much cared for the human factions in SG-1, but I actually like the Genii as an adversary. I think it’s the fact that they’re a more alien sort of human.