Stargate: The Ark of Truth is the first of two direct-to-video sequels to SG-1. This one picks up after the SG-1 series finale and concludes the Ori arc and throws in a number of other callbacks along the way.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: It's kind of weird not having a big bad guy to fight anymore.
Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter: Yeah, that’s how we felt when we defeated the Goa’uld. And The Replicators. The first time…
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Well Jackson and Vala took care of that.
Vala Mal Doran: That whole Ori thing was not our fault!
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Just take the blame. You get used to it.
On one hand, having more Stargate SG-1 is wonderful. If this were an episode (or even the core of a season), this would be a solid addition. It deals with the fallout of SG-1’s attempted genocide (because even if they’re evil, it’s still genocide) of the Ori by introduction of a new Ancient artifact we’d never heard of (par for the course) which brainwipes people to convince them of the ‘Truth’ (whatever that means). While it’s a decent enough idea for wrapping up the problem of an entire galaxy full of people hell bent on holy war it’s… questionable to say the least. And other than a few bare comments, they don’t really get into it.
On top of that, it’s weak as a movie. It’s already only 90 minutes along, and a rather excessive part of that runtime is establishing shots of mountains and lakes, along with a minutes long scene of Teal’c walking–resolutely, but slowly–across the landscape.
Back on a positive* note, they really do go out of the way to bring back everything they can. In this case
Overall, it’s Stargate and I do love Stargate. But Unending was an absolutely stellar ending. Really, they could just have left it there.
So it goes.
Ranked: 2021 Movie Reviews
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Avengers: Endgame
- Avengers: Infinity War
- The Matrix Resurrections
- Captain America: Civil War
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- The Suicide Squad
- Black Panther
- Iron Man
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Finding Nemo
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
- The Greatest Showman
- Captain Marvel
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Doctor Strange
- Black Widow
- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians
- Palm Springs
- Knives Out
- The Rescuers Down Under
- Iron Man 3
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- A Clockwork Orange
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
- Godzilla vs Kong
- Stargate: Continuum
- Iron Man 2
- Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- The Incredible Hulk
- Thor: The Dark World
- Stargate: The Ark of Truth
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Mortal Kombat