Pumpkin pie, truly the reason for the season.
Other than the crust, everything is made from scratch! Including the whipped cream.
- 1 pie crust
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup maple extract
- Cut pumpkin in half; remove seeds
- Bake at 425℉ for 40-50 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Scoop out flesh and puree
- Mix puree, maple syrup, and vanilla
- Add eggs, spices and sugar, and cream
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425℉
- Turn oven down to 350℉ minutes, bake for 90 more minutes
- Cool and serve
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream1
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Optional: vanilla
- Whisk for 10-15 minutes
And now pictures, because pictures are awesome!
First, you cut up the pumpkins and scoop out the guts:
My daughter is helping. She decorated hers:
Next, you cook them for a while (see above). The nice bit is that once you’ve cooked them, the skin comes right off. That is glorious, since it’s so much easier to peel than with a knife.
See, the skin just comes right off:
Next, mix everything except the spices into the pumpkin puree:
And now mix in the spices. The spices really make the pie:
Then… bake! It’s odd that it’s at two different temperatures, but so it goes:
And, we’re done!
Mmm, top with homemade whipped cream and nom away.
This still amuses me ↩︎