Wombat IDE - Yeah... Maybe I was crazy

So I started let today. And let me tell you (no pun intended) that is one sticky function to work with, once you get the entire family involved. You have let, let*, let-values, letrec, and named lets, along with all sorts of combinations thereof. I actually made it about 90% through all of these (just a few bugs to work out in letrec) before I realized that this was perhaps more than I actually wanted to do for the public version of Wombat.

I need a working version of Wombat when the new semester starts, preferably one that’s already compatible with Chez Scheme. So I think I’m going to bite the bullet and look into bundling a native version of Petite with Wombat and wrapping that as the Scheme back-end. That’s how Odete did it, using a native interface in their case, but I think I’m just going to use either the local network or even just stdin and stdout to communcate. We’ll see how that goes.

Of course, I’ll keep the entire code base for Wombat Scheme in the repository if I ever want to deal with it again. It was definitely an interesting project and taught me a little more about how much work it takes to actually implement a language. We’ll see where that goes from here.

comments powered by Disqus